Monday, September 6, 2010

Model Ship Update: Main Sail

I know it's been a long time, but I'm getting back into this after a bit of a hiatus. Below are pics of the recently added main sail. The rig is pretty much the same as the other square-rigged sails: halyards, topping lifts, buntings, clewlines, and reefing tackles.


The first picture shows the front view. The bunting is the line running down the front of the sail to the foot. Next is a back view. The reefing tackle is at the top right of the sail, while the clewline goes through the block at the bottom right of the sail. Of course, all these lines would have their port side equivalents. The third picture is a detail of the main yard. The topping lift is the line running through the double-block in the foreground. The blocks for the halyards are at the center of the yard, under the maintop. Most of these lines are made fast to a series of pegs at the base of the mainmast as shown in the final picture.

Still have to attach braces, sheets, and maybe tacks. The tacks aren't in the plans, but I think they should be there.

Two more sails to go. Hopefully, you'll be seeing more pics here soon.

2 comments:

ajv174 said...

Hey Mike

Hope you're well, man. Not sure if you remember me but I used to read your Survivor strategy blog all the time and even made one of my own that you read/followed. I've stayed watching the seasons up until now and was reminded of the days we used to discuss strategy of the game so I thought I'd see how you are doing and if you still watch Survivor. There's been some pretty good seasons although the current season (#21) has been pretty dull. Overall, the strategy has definitely improved, although still not perfected obviously. Anyway, I'll try and drop by and see if you still check this blog.

Andrew/A.J. (I go by both names and maybe the user name ajv174 - not sure if they ring a bell)

HCIsland said...

Hi Andrew,

Of course I remember, but I've pretty much shut the door on Survivor. I really haven't watched a second of the show in over three years - but I do tend to do that with hobbies.

Lately, I've been really busy and not on-line much. The model ship that I had been working on has bogged down - I gotta get down and finish the bloody thing - it's so close.

I've enrolled in a masters program which is a huge time eater. I should really start posting here again about my experience in it. It's going well but it's a lot of work.

Mike